Have you ever noticed how a discussion about coffee always has two very different sides? There are a number of studies that have been done to prove the pros and cons of coffee, and these are trotted out at every argument. When it comes to black coffee and weight loss Aussies know the benefits, but there are many people who prefer to avoid the jittery side effects of coffee. If you’re looking for an easy way to lose weight in your daily life, then why not start by drinking more black coffee?
Love it or hate it, you cannot ignore the numbers: The world consumes about 150 million bags, or 10 million tonnes, of coffee every year! While some of us consume coffee for its taste and invigorating effects, there are many who drink it for the association between black coffee and weight loss.
Before you can decide where you stand on the coffee debate, you should know the pros and cons.
What are the Benefits of Black Coffee?
Apart from the relationship between black coffee and weight loss, there are plenty of other benefits. Some of these include:
- Boosting mood and encourages better emotional health
- Reducing frequency and intensity of headaches
- Improving liver metabolism and health
- Improving exercise performance
- Boosting cognitive abilities by sharpening awareness and focus
- Encouraging faster recovery from fractures
- Reducing chances of some cancers
- Lowering chances of developing diabetes
- Warding off conditions like Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s
- Boosting general health through a steady supply of nutrients and antioxidants
- Enhancing cardiovascular health by lowering blood pressure
Whether you drink it black or with milk, coffee will deliver a host of health benefits as long as it is consumed in moderation.
What are the Potential Risks to drinking Black Coffee?
Consuming black coffee for weight loss is one reason to drink it, but you should know that there are certain risks that you may be exposing yourself to. These are usually only true if you drink too much coffee or if you have a low tolerance for caffeine. But remember that coffee is a drug and will have an effect on everyone. If you feel uneasy or anxious after drinking coffee, then you should avoid it or focus on milder brands.
When trying to lose weight by drinking coffee, the benefits and risks will often depend on the person. One person may be able to tolerate multiple cups, whereas another may feel sick or anxious after just a single cup of coffee. These effects are most pronounced when you drink black coffee because you are drinking it in its purest form.
If you drinking too much coffee or have a lower threshold for caffeine, here are some of the ill effects you might feel:
- Irregular heart rhythms
- Degenerative cardiovascular conditions
- Deteriorating emotional health
- Unexplained irritability
- Sleep disturbances and insomnia
- Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- Sleep disturbances and insomnia
- Headaches and migraines
- Nausea and vomiting
If you’re suffering from these side effects, then you may want to consider either drinking less coffee or using varieties with less caffeine.
What is the Science behind Drinking Black Coffee for Weight Loss?
Many studies have established the link between black coffee and weight loss, but because coffee has over a thousand ingredients, these studies have not been able to pinpoint the reason for weight loss.
Two primary active components of coffee are caffeine and chlorogenic acids (CGAs) and these are known to play a key role in the relationship between black coffee and weight loss. They work in the following way:
- Boosting energy consumption even when the body is in a resting state
- Augmenting fat metabolism
- Increasing metabolism
- Increasing the output of body heat
- Regulating glucose levels
- Balancing body fat distribution and inhibiting fat storage
- Sharply reducing appetite
- Boosting energy levels which can improve exercise performance
The relationship of black coffee and weight loss depend on the amount of caffeine consumed. But do note that coffee has diminishing returns, which means that higher consumption doesn’t necessarily lead to greater effects. In theory, coffee helps you digest and work off calories but it is only a small factor. Coffee consumption can reduce calorie intake by a modest amount and generally leads to an average weight loss of about two kilos a month.
How to get the most out of black coffee for weight loss
To make the most of the relationship between black coffee and weight loss, you should drink a cup every couple of hours. If you drink strong coffee or coffee with a higher caffeine content, you should limit your consumption to about 3-4 cups a day.
If you experience any gastric discomfort after drinking black coffee, it is best to eat some food with your beverage to reduce the chances of stomach upset. Higher stress on the digestive system can also lead to weight gain. Drink your black coffee after or during a meal to maximize fat burn.
- Drink the first coffee after breakfast
- The second cup mid-morning before lunch
- The third cup after lunch
- And the final cup either before your late afternoon snack or right after it
Sticking to Black Coffee
If you want to lose weight, then its highly recommended that you stick solely to black coffee. However, whether for the bitterness or the flavour it can be hard to jump straight from cappucinos to drinking straight black. If you’re struggling with this, then here are four easy tips to ease your transition into black coffee.
- Avoid adding any form of sugar to your coffee. If you prefer sweetened coffee, try reducing your sugar over time until you get used to the sugar-free version or choose a low-calorie sweetener
- If you are craving flavor in your coffee, use calorie-free options like cinnamon sprinkles or vanilla extract. Avoid store-bought liquid sugar flavoring, syrups, creamers and pre-mixes because those are packed with calories
- If possible, make your own coffee so you can control what goes in it.When out at a café or in office, stick to black coffee and ask for milk and sugar on the side
- If you don’t enjoy the taste of black coffee or are new to it, you might like to add a splash of almond milk for added flavour and less bitterness
Remember these Tips!
While there is a strong correlation between black coffee and weight loss there are some situations in which it may backfire.
Consuming add-ons or snacks with your black coffee
Black coffee and weight loss only happen in tandem if you avoid adding unnecessary calories to your beverage. Many of us like our coffee with milk and sugar or with add-ons like whipped cream or flavoured syrups. For many of us, a coffee break also means a baked pastry or a handful of biscuits. However these additions can add calories and ruin your diet. If you are thinking about drinking black coffee for weight loss, make sure you don’t fall prey to these traps. While it is recommended that you eat food with your coffee, stay away from sweets and other high calorie food.
Caffeine and sleep
While most of us drink coffee to ward off drowsiness and make us feel awake, it can interfere with your sleep quality too. If you drink coffee too late in the day, you may not be able to sleep at night and will wake up feeling tired and groggy. A lack of sleep is strongly correlated to increased hunger and cravings for junk food. This is because losing sleep ramps up the production of ghrelin, the hunger hormone and results in higher calorie consumption. If you’re debating the benefits of black coffee and weight loss, you should make sure your coffee schedule is planned the right way.
What else can I do to lose Weight?
Despite all the benefits drinking coffee is only one of the easy ways we can lose weight in our daily lives. For those looking to do more it would be best to look elsewhere in their lives for where their calorie intake can be lowered. If you’re looking to continue losing weight through your diet, then you might want to seek advice from a nutritionist. For those wanting more intense and thorough methods, then it might be time to start working out with a personal trainer. No matter what method you want to continue with, Avaana can help.
With Avaana you can compare and contrast your local health practitioners to find the best method for you. Book today, and get up to 20% off your first booking!
Be well, feel good, and smile a lot!