Reiki is an ancient form of alternative medicine that can trace its roots back to Japan. It can be broken down into two words: ‘rei’ which stands for ‘universal’ and ‘ki’ which is loosely interpreted as ‘life force’ or ‘energy’. Together, reiki stands for the universal energy or life force that is present within and all around. Reiki therapy is not limited to only adults, there is reiki for children as well. Channelling this universal energy delivers an alternative form of healing that augments modern forms of treatment. Reiki for kids is known to be far more effective and is likely to deliver results when compared to adults because kids are much more in tune with ‘ki’ both within them and around them.
What is reiki for kids?
Pronounced as ‘ray-ki’, reiki for kids can boost children’s levels of energy as well as bring about greater relaxation and general well-being. Reiki for children is delivered through non-invasive procedures and thus is considered safer than most forms of alternative treatments.
It is based on the tenet that a person’s ‘ki’ or energy is responsible for their current state of health and well-being. If this energy is low, it can lead to feeling unwell. When high, it leads to an optimal state of health. Reiki for kids does not cure diseases or illnesses but helps them channel their energy to allow their bodies and minds to naturally bring about an optimal state of being.
What are the benefits of reiki for kids?
Reiki leads to optimal health and general well-being by helping the body’s inner processes function efficiently. It does so by improving a person’s energy levels while simultaneously allowing them to feel relaxed and at peace. This means that both boisterous children and indolent children will feel the positive effects of reiki.
When it comes to reiki for children, it usually delivers the following benefits:
- This leads to better self-regulation and reduced hyperactivity
- Boosts cognitive performance by enhancing focus and concentration
- This leads to better quality and quantity of sleep
- Reduces episodes of anxiety, stress and fear
- Improves awareness of self which can boost self-esteem
- Brings about a sense of inner balance
- Reduces incidences of irritability and sadness
- Makes them calmer by promoting a sense of inner peace
- Promotes healing, and growth and brings about pain relief
Where to find reiki for kids
Are you wondering, how do I find a centre for reiki near me? Reiki for children is considered a complementary or alternative form of treatment in Australia. At present, you can find reiki for kids through:
- Select hospitals
- Nursing homes
- Local community centres
- Professional reiki centres
- Registered and qualified reiki practitioners
What to expect in the first session of reiki for kids
A Reiki practitioner can conduct an entire session without ever needing to touch the child in any way. The discipline does not necessarily need any particular set-up or equipment and therefore is not intimidating for children.
These factors make it a safe form of alternative treatment for children. Reiki for children improves the body’s natural healing processes, allowing it to let go of deep-rooted tension, undergo detoxification and bring about internal balance.
You may expect the following in a reiki session for your child:
- They will be told to sit in a chair or lie down on a table designed for reiki
- The Reiki practitioner will allow them time to get comfortable after which they will move their heads above the child’s body at a distance of about six inches
- The practitioner will ‘scan’ your child’s body as they move their hands, searching for points of low energy or blockages in the energy centres
- Once the scanning is complete, the healer moves their hands over areas in particular need of attention to unblock the energy
The way a reiki session progresses is similar for everyone, whether an adult or child. The experience of receiving reiki may differ from person to person.
Your child may experience:
- Sensations that could range from warm, cold, tingling, and twitching to stomach-rumbling
- A feeling of a wave or golden radiance passing through their body, instilling a sense of relaxation and tranquillity
- A sense of vigour and liveliness along with a burst of natural energy
- A feeling of inner balance similar to the feeling brought on by guided meditation
Facts any parent will be happy to hear
- Your child will never be asked to remove any pieces of clothing
- An entire session is possible without any form of physical manipulation with the hands coming near, but never in contact with the body
- A typical session for adults may last for about 60-90 minutes but some practitioners may offer shorter sessions because kids are naturally restless
As a parent considering reiki for your child, do keep note of these two pointers:
Inform your child about what to expect before taking them for the session. If they know they may feel a sensation of warmth or tingling, they will not be upset by it.
After the session, there is a detoxification of negative energies. Make sure your child gets plenty of water and rest on the day after the session. A quiet evening at home with nourishing, simple food is a good way to end the day.
Who can benefit the most from reiki for kids?
While children of all ages, cultures and backgrounds can gain all the above benefits of reiki for children, certain groups may see more improvement. This usually involves some form of mental or physical concerns that cannot be treated effectively through conventional forms of medicine or a counsellor online.
Kids who can benefit from reiki for kids include those with:
- Obsessive Compulsive Disorders (OCD)
- Behavioural issues
- Anxiety, stress and irrational fears
- Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) or Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Sleeping issues and concerns, learning how to fall asleep
- Drastic mood swings and anger issues
- Inability to focus or concentrate
- Sensory processing disorders
- Unexplained fatigue and body pain
Is there a separate practitioner for reiki for kids?
There are no separate practitioners for reiki for children, but some professionals may have more experience working with children. Anyone with the following qualifications should be able to conduct a reiki session for your child:
- A qualified and trained reiki professional who has completed the first two levels of a reiki program
- Is insured properly
- Has at least basic first-aid skills
- Is a member of a professional and well-recognized reiki organization
Like all other countries, Australia has professional reiki organizations for all those practising this ancient discipline within the country. There are standards and codes of ethics that all the members are expected to follow to ensure the integrity of the practice and the safety of clients.
If you are confused about how to find the best practitioner for your child, start by asking your friends or others you know who have undergone reiki. Referrals from those you trust are the safest and best ways to find the right reiki professionals.
Alternatively, you can seek out the reiki associations in your locality or city that have qualified and professional practitioners as members. When narrowing down on a professional, never hesitate to ask all your questions and concerns regarding their qualifications, experience, training and professional memberships.
Any other points I should know about reiki for kids?
One important thing you should know about reiki for children is that reiki tends to be more effective and impactful for children than for adults. This is because children tend to be more receptive and sensitive to the energies channelled through the practice and usually do not have preconceived notions like adults.
A reiki treatment for a child can last for a much shorter period; something as little as five to twenty minutes. It may incorporate movement, a story, or anything that allows them to relax and come in tune with their self.
Any precautions I should bear in mind when it comes to reiki for kids?
Always bear in mind that regardless of how effective reiki turns out to be for your child, it does not cure any illness or health condition. It is an alternative form of therapy that is to be used to supplement but not replace medical treatment.
Avoid all reiki practitioners who guarantee quick results or claim to have the ability to cure serious or terminal medical conditions such as cancer. It is best to consult your doctor or a medical professional if you are unsure.
Is reiki for kids safe?
Reiki for children is undoubtedly one of the safest forms of complementary therapy and treatment for your child. This is because it is:
- Does not require any form of touch
- Does not need specialized equipment
- Makes use of no form of medicines or lifestyle changes
- Does not harm the body
Reiki simply kickstarts the natural healing processes that are inherent in all children. They begin by hovering their hands over the body of the child, either touching or not touching them. The practitioner then channels the healing energies of the universe to the child. The child is likely to experience a sense of calm and well-being that can last for hours or days.
A blocked or lower level of energy or life force usually results in children suffering from mental or physical health concerns. A higher level, on the other hand, flows freely through the channels of the body making your child stronger and less prone to illnesses and negative forms of energy.
The energy of a child could be low or blocked due to any number of factors such as emotions, fears, thoughts or belief structures. Through reiki for kids, the energy always goes wherever there is blockage or deficiency to restore balance and bring about a state of mental, physical and spiritual well-being.
Reiki for kids is an alternative form of healing and treatment that focuses on restoring the energy systems within your child which leads to better relaxation and improved physical as well as mental health. It does so by opening up blockages in the energy of the child and restoring health and balance.