These Frequently Asked Questions contain general information only and do not take into account your personal health, fitness or wellbeing circumstances, needs or objectives. Information about a therapy, service, product or treatment does not imply endorsement by Avaana and is not intended to replace advice from your healthcare, fitness or wellbeing professional. All site users should seek advice from a qualified healthcare professional for a diagnosis and answers to their health, fitness and wellbeing questions.
What is Ayurveda?
Ayurveda is an ancient Indian form of natural medicine that believes in maintaining the balance between mind and body. It says that any illness or mental condition comes from an imbalance in our physical or emotional health, so it is imperative that we ensure the health of both. Ayurveda Sydney centres will help you with all these aspects.
Ayurveda uses a number of techniques: diet, exercise, mindfulness, massage, and more. You do not need to be ill to consult any Ayurvedic doctor Sydney offers or look for treatment. For example, you may like to book a massage at an ayurvedic wellness centre after a long week or month instead of your usual spa session.
What are the types of treatment that Ayurveda prescribes?
An ayurvedic doctor Sydney centre may offer the following treatments that aim at restoring balance and harmony in the body:
- Panchakarma: A combination of five different treatments to detox the body. These are: massage to relax muscles and release toxins, enemas and emetic to restore digestive health, oil treatments to cleanse and condition nasal cavities, and a special diet to cleanse the system and nourish the cleansed body
- Mindfulness and meditation: Working on mental health and emotional resilience to help you develop balance
- Massage and relaxation: Physical techniques like hot oil massage or bolus massage to relax the muscles, improve joint health, and restore elasticity in skin
- Yoga: Exercises focusing on strength and flexibility, breathing exercises to ensure better physical and mental health. When it comes to Ayurveda Sydney appears to love this form of treatment best, as the growing number of yoga centres in Sydney shows.
- Tailored diet plans: Diet plans that are created to improve health and target specific conditions. Find out more about an Ayurvedic diet
- Herbal remedies: Prescribes judicious use of herbs to improve diet and health. It is safer to get these from an ayurvedic doctor Sydney centre instead of at a local grocery store.
- Lifestyle changes: May include changing of habits and diet to address the individual’s health conditions
Is Ayurveda recognized in Australia?
In India and many parts of the world, Ayurveda has a staunch following and is used for a variety of treatments. When it comes to Ayurveda Sydney has a growing number of clinics and specialists. In Australia, Ayurveda is considered a complementary medicine and should be treated as such. Any ayurvedic doctor Sydney clinic will have to be registered with the bodies that regulate Ayurveda in Australia.
An ayurvedic doctor Sydney clinic can prescribe medicine as a complementary treatment but it should not be used to replace prescribed medicine or to treat any condition alone. Do check with your doctor before visiting an ayurveda Sydney centre.
What are the benefits of Ayurveda?
Because of its holistic and nature-based principles, Ayurveda offers multiple benefits:
- It takes a proactive approach that focuses on preservation of health, not just treatment of symptoms.
- It prescribes moderation in all things – including exercise, work, and diet. This means that you can follow the principles of Ayurveda in your regular life.
- It uses largely natural ingredients to treat illnesses and these have little to no side effects.
- It can be used for long-term treatment without requiring medical intervention.
- The principles of balance and moderation are especially relevant to all of us in our modern lifestyles and can offer a chance to focus on our health.
- Ayurvedic medicine considers symptoms as a result of a larger cause, so it attempts to treat the cause. This means that you can achieve long-lasting results with this form of treatment.
Who should try Ayurveda?
If you’re considering ayurveda Sydney has multiple options. But should you try it? Ayurveda has been found to be effective for less serious conditions that may interfere with our daily health, such as:
- Poor appetite
- Acidity or heartburn
- Skin conditions like psoriasis or eczema
- Weight problems
- Frequent colds and coughs
- Sinus conditions
Ayurvedic medicine is used to understand the root of many common ailments and will prescribe natural treatments to treat these causes. Read more about ayurvedic medicine and its uses for diabetes, heart conditions, joint pain, and more.
Can I use ayurvedic home remedies?
Many ayurvedic home remedies prescribe using herbs, spices, or vegetables to treat minor health conditions. Some of these remedies are popular across cultures and are good for you in moderation. A cup of ginger-lemon tea will not hurt you when you have a cold, so remedies like this are safe to use. Similarly, an ayurvedic massage when you are stressed can have incredible benefits on your mental health, so you shouldn’t worry about these remedies.
However if you have a medication-sensitive condition like diabetes or a serious condition, it is recommended that you consult your doctor before trying new remedies or visiting any Ayurveda Sydney specialists.
View all Ayurveda Melbourne centres.
View all Ayurveda Sydney centres.